Medical Care

Click each section for more information

Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance


  • Notre Dame Health Insurance - Notre Dame offers a student Health Insurance plan that is comparable in price and coverage to most private insurance plans. In addition, the Graduate School generally offers many students a stipedn to cover a portion of their health care premium for the year. As a result, most Notre Dame graduate students choose to be covered by the University supported health plan.


  • Notre Dame Health Insurance - Notre Dame offers Health Insurance plans for spouses and children. Contact University Health Services for rates and information. Because premiums tend to be cost prohibitive for spouses and children to be insured through Notre Dame, most student families do not choose this option.
  • Hoosier Healthwise  - The Hoosier Healthwise Program is a healthcare program for low income families, pregnant women, and children. The program is sponsored by the state of Indiana through Family and Social Services Administration, and covers such medical care as doctor visits, prescription drugs, mental health care, dental care, hospitalizations, surgeries, and family planning at little or no cost.

  • Healthy Indiana Plan - Indiana is offering low-cost health insurance for low-income adults (under $47,100 for families of four). One of the stipulations is that the adult must be uninsured for 6 months prior to signing up and cannot have insurance available to them by their employer. Any premiums that families pay for Hoosier Healthwise for children are deducted from the parents' premiums. Hoosier Healthwise for children and pregnant women remain the same.

  • Private Insurance - Many spouses do not qualify for Hoosier Healthwise and when they are not pregnant, or have not been uninsured for six months, choose instead to purchase private insurance. There are many search engines to compare insurance prices, one resource may be the E-Health-Insurance website.


  • Hoosier Healthwise - The Hoosier Healthwise Program is a healthcare program for low income families, pregnant women, and children. The program is sponsored by the state of Indiana through Family and Social Services Administration, and covers such medical care as doctor visits, prescription drugs, mental health care, dental care, hospitalizations, and surgeries. Non citizens who meet all financial and categorical requirements can be eligible for either full coverage or coverage limited to emergencies depending on immigration status. (Please note that the Notre Dame Health and Wellness Center will not process medicaid, i.e. Hoosier Healthwise, claims).

  • Private Insurance - Children who do not qualify for Hoosier Healthwise based on their parents income can be insured through private health insurance. There are many search engines to compare insurance prices, one resource may be the E-Health-Insurance website.

International Students

  • International students are subject to different rules and restrictions than students who are United States citizens. Comprehensive information can be found about these requirments through the International Student Services and Activities (ISSA) website.  If you and your family have J Visa status, make sure to look at the health requirements for J Visas as well.  See the ISSA website for information on Maintaining Lawful Visa Status.

Dental and Vision

  • Notre Dame Student Health Insurance Plan - Through the student plan dental plans can be purchased separately.

  • Indiana University at South Bend Dental Clinic - During the school year, September - June, the Dental Hygiene Clinic at IUSB offers such dental services as teeth cleaning and X-rays as part of their training program. Cleaning fees are $30 for adults and $15 for children and seniors. Call (574) 520-4156 for more information or an appointment.

(Return to Top of Page)

Hospitals and Health Clinics

  • Saint Joseph's Regional Medical Center - phone: (574) 335-5000 - Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center is a not-for profit, multi-hospital healthcare system that offers faith-based, personalized care in a diverse and team-oriented environment.

  • Memorial Hospital of South Bend - phone: (574) 647-1000 - Memorial serves as a 526-bed regional referral center for cardiac, cancer, childbirth, emergency medicine and rehabilitation services.

  • Sister Maura Brannick Health Center  - phone: (574) 335-8222 - Sister Maura Brannick Health Clinic was established to help those in need of medical care who do not have medical insurance, including Medicaid and Medicare, and the residents of St. Joseph's County. Patients must call to place name on a waiting list. For accepted as eligible and established clients, clinic patients are asked to contribute $5 per clinic visit.

  • Saint Joseph County Health Department - phone: (574) 235-9750 - Immunizations for infants and children cost $8 for children that are 2 months old to age 19. Families are required to bring a record indicating the dates of previous immunizations.

  • Health Family Center - phone: (574) 252-3699 - Services include, but are not limited to: Head Start and school physicals, prenatal and obstetrical care, women's health and minor gynecological procedures, medication assistance program, family medicine care, and preventive healthcare.

  • Memorial Neighborhood Health Center - phone: (574) 647-1400 - This clinic offers primary health care services for families, including; complete physical exams, health screenings, wellness education, immunizations, lab services, family planning and health maintenance, care for acute and chronic problems and low risk obstetrics. Medicaid is accepted and the have a sliding fee scale. Additionaly, a Cash Discount Program for patients who do not have insurance is offered.

(Return to Top of Page)


Social Services and Counseling Services

  • Women, Infants, Children (WIC) - phone: (574) 647-2100 - WIC provides supplemental food assistance for pregnant women and their children under the age of 5. WIC provides food vouchers for those families who qualify under the monetary guidelines.

  • Real Services Energy Assistance - phone: (574) 284-2644 or (800) 552-7928 - The REAL Services' Energy Assistance Program is a State funded program that assists low-income households with electric and heating expenses during winter months. Households must be within 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines to qualify. Call during business hours for an application.

  • Saint Joseph County West Division of Family Resources - phone: (574) 236-5300 - Several financial assistance programs available for residents of the County. These programs provide health insurance and food stamps for low-income qualifying families. Most services are limited to US citizens, which includes American-born children of international students. Applications are available on a walk-in basis.

  • Saint Vincent De Paul Society  - Thrift Store phone: (574) 234-6000, Referral Services phone: (574) 234-6211 - Emergency assistance to low-income families in need of household items, clothing and furniture. Emergency financial assistance is also provided for rent, utilities or other needs. The thrift stor offers an inexpensive place to shop for clothing, furniture, appliances, toys, and other household items.

  • The Christ Child Society - phone: (574) 288-6028 - The Christ Child Society provides new layettes for newborns and clothing for children up to the age of 12. Call to find out what identification and referral documents are needed to qualify for services.

  • Women's Care Center - phone: (877) 908-2341 - Offers on-site pregnancy testing and initial prenatal care. They also provide maternity clothing, baby clothing and supplies. Supportive assistance for pregnant women and new mothers is offered. All services are free and confidential.

  • Family & Children's Center Inc. - phone: (574) 259-5666 - Offers counseling, case work and educational programs designed to strengthen and preserve the quality of individual and family life. Counseling fees are based on income.

  • Catholic Charities - phone: (574) 234-3111 - Catholic Charities is a voluntary, private community resource that helps to meet needs in the area of social welfare for families. Spanish speaking counselling available.

  • Samaritan Counseling Center  - phone: (574) 277-0274 - Samaritan Counseling offers counseling at an affordable rate. They are familiar with the needs of those seeking help with marriage probelms, family issues, anxiety, depression, stress, grief and other life concerns. Individual, Couple and Family Counseling available.

  • University of Notre Dame Counseling Center - phone: (574) 631-7336 - Offers a broad range of services to all degree-seeking students at the University. Each semester a variety of workshops are offered. Services at the Center are offered on a minimal fee scale- $4 per session. If fees pose a probelm, arrangements will be made.

  • Home Management Resources - phone: (574) 233-3486 - Home management resources combines one-on-one mentoring and role modeling with up-to-date skills training and information in order to give family members the courage and ability to change. Seminars cost $150 and deal with personal growth, healthy attitudes and lifestyles.

  • Notre Dame Marital Therapy & Research Clinic - phone: (574) 631-9640 - The Marital Therapy & Research Clinic is a non-profit research, training, and service organization affiliated with the University of Notre Dame's Department of Psychology which provides research-supported psychological services to couples in South Bend and the surrounding community.

(Return to Top of Page)


DISCLAIMER: The information contained on this page has been obtained from Notre Dame residents and staff, and should be used for informational purposes only. The University of Notre Dame does not warrant the accuracy of such information, nor does it specifically endorse any of the resources listed on this site. Users of this site should independently evaluate the resources, and are encouraged to contact appropriate authorities such as regulatory, licensing agencies or health care professionals if they have specific questions or need more detail.